Monday 16 December 2013

Degree of pain

Hello once again,

Its been such a long time since I've last posted, and honestly I'm regretting not writing for a prolonged period of time because every now and then I get great ideas to blog about, but when I don't pen them down I forget about them. So when I was standing in my balcony a minute ago and had another one of these moments, I swore I wouldn't forget about it this time.

Everyone has a different capacity for pain. Like for instance, when you go to the dentist and the he says "this won't hurt a bit" and in your mind you go "yeah, right". Instances like these remind me when I once read this book by Anthony Horowitz. In one of his books there was a part where Alex, the main character in Alex Rider the series, is used as a lab dummy for a research study on pain. What essentially the scientist wanted to do was create a new unit for pain. So your dentist, rather than saying "a bit", something very subjective, would say "5 units of pain". I found that to be a brilliant idea, a noble prize winning idea.

Just imagine. No longer would you have to tremble in fear in anticipation for pain, because you know how much the pain is going to affect you. Sure, everyone has a different capacity for pain as I have already said, but if there would be some sort of general guide I think it will make things much simpler. Therefore I formally introduce the unit YOLO (first thing that came to my mind, a work in progress) I think that the phrase You Only Live Once has been used wrongly all this time, and this would be a much better use for this term.

What do you think about Pain? Should we measure it? And if do, how? Comment below.

Signing off,
Just another Singaporean      

No comments:

Post a Comment