Monday 3 June 2013

The tortoise and the hare

This picture I came across reminded me of the story of the tortoise and the hair, and I want to further discuss an idea in the age-old tale.

If one is born in life, with a certain disadvantage, portrayed as the slow tortoise. Will he or she still be able to overcome their greatest setback or must they learn to live with it? I think that the answer to this question has changed in the real-live-scenario context over time. 

In the past, when one was born without limbs, there was no possible way he could overcome it, but to live with it. Now, prosthetics make it seem that there is no missing body part in the first place.

When one is born so called ugly, the person couldn't do anything about it. Now, a touch of makeup or even surgery can fix anything.

And in the story of the tortoise and the hair, though in story the tortoise won through hard work, perseverance and determination, perhaps in todays context all the tortoise needs to do is to strap on a pair of rockets and fly his way past the hair.

I know that the idea seems far fetched, but the idea that I want to share with you is this- With all these advances in science and technology, can it be that all humans will sooner or later loose this capability of overcoming obstacles and challenges head on? Humans will have no need to run the race in the conventional method. 

If I am born stupid, in the future all I need to do is to programme every book possible into my brain and become smart, rather than actually spending the time and effort into studying for knowledge.

This is how I interpret this story of the tortoise and the hair, in todays context. What do you think? Is there any possibility to what I have written above? Comment below.

Signing off,
Just another Singaporean

No comments:

Post a Comment